Historic Mill Inn

2161 Coffeen Avenue • Sheridan, WY 82801
Phone: 307-672-6401 • Toll Free: 888-FLR-MILL
WebsiteEmail

Directions:
The Historic Mill Inn is located off of I-90- Exit 25, at 2161 Coffeen Avenue in Sheridan.

The Sheridan Flouring Mills, Inc. represents one of the most important early commercial enterprises in the City of Sheridan and Sheridan County. Dating back to the 1890s, it became one of the region’s largest industrial enterprises.

The origin of the Sheridan Flouring Mills, Inc. dates back to the early 1890s and Captain Scott K. Snively’s small steam-powered mill. The Sheridan Milling and Manufacturing Company purchased this single mill elevator in 1896 and subsequently sold it to J. W. Denio in 1903 or 1904. Denio, his family, and another experienced miller expanded and improved the facility on its original Broadway Avenue location. They began milling flour and encouraged local farmers to grow stronger hard spring and winter wheat varieties for their mill. Soon, Denio’s operation had grown from modest beginnings of operating one day a week to a twenty-four hour, seven day a week, year-round undertaking reputed to produce the region’s highest quality flour. As a result, the mill opened an economic avenue where farmers, grocers, and bakers could rely on a local facility for flour instead of more expensive Montana and Nebraska suppliers.

Although a 1919 fire destroyed the original facility, the Denio family rebuilt a new concrete, steel, and brick building at the present site on Coffeen Avenue. The six-story mill, powered with 400-horsepower steam boilers, could produce 1,000 barrels of flour daily and became Wyoming’s largest milling plant by 1923. Production capabilities continued to increase, and in 1927, the Sheridan Flour Mills, Inc. was established to purchase the Denio Milling Company. Under new management, the plant produced a variety of products that were shipped across the US under the trade name “Best Out West.” By the 1950s, the mill produced 2,000 sacks of flour each day as well as 100 tons of livestock feed. In 1963, Nebraska Consolidated Mills (which later became Con-Agra) purchased Sheridan Flouring Mills. They operated the mill until its closure in 1972.

During its reign, the Sheridan Flouring Mills, Inc. represented the area’s agricultural legacy while developing the region’s economy. The mill not only served Sheridan, but also southeastern Montana and northeastern Wyoming along the mainline of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. Nearly every family in the region bought and utilized the mill’s products, had members working at the mill, or grew wheat for the mill. It became one of Sheridan’s largest and most enduring employers as well as one of the state’s and Sheridan County’s largest taxpayers.  In addition, it provided income for regional farmers who depended upon the mills as a buyer for agricultural products. 

In 1977-78, William Eisele used his own architectural plans and converted the abandoned mill into a 45-unit motel with office suites housed in the upper stories. After a succession of previous stockholders, Karen M. Moody, Mandy Moody, and Pete Moody acquired the motel in 1992. They upgraded the electrical system, remodeled and completed repairs, and built new landscaped parking lots. Since 1994, the American Automobile Association (AAA) has rated the Mill Inn a three-diamond Historical Motel. The Inn has free high-speed (Broadband) internet in most rooms, amongst other nice amenities. In 1997, the Mill Inn was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Vacation / Relocation | WY Communities | Search | Western Gifts

Copyright ©2012 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved