|August 29, 1986, this Cheyenne Architectural Heritage Map was donated to the City of Cheyenne by the X-JWC Federated Women’s Club. The purpose of the map is to preserve the memory of the beautiful historical buildings in the downtown area of Cheyenne. Artists William A. Little Jr., and Randy Hurst. Photographs Courtesy of: Wyoming State Archives, Museums and Historical Department. Constructed by: Western Specialty Mfg. Corp.
Wyoming State Capitol
24th & Capitol Avenue
The Territorial Legislature authorized 150,000 for the construction of the Capitol’s first phase in 1886. The Wyoming Capitol is one of ten gold domed U.S. state capitols.
Union Pacific Depot
121 West 15th Street
Construction began in 1886, and included a Romanesque clock tower that was a prominent landmark for railroad travelers approaching Cheyenne at the turn of the century.
301 West 16th Street
A fine bar and restaurant was established here in 1883. Ladies, with or without escorts, were welcomed. The present building was constructed in 1892.
213 West 16th Street
Constructed in 1887, the Atlas is the oldest standing theatre in Cheyenne. Home to vaudeville performances, in the 1980s the Atlas stage presents live theatre.
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
1908 Central Avenue
Begun in 1886, the 1887 collapse of the cattle industry postponed completion of the church’s interior until 1888, Windows include Tiffany stained glass.
St. Mary’s Cathedral
2107 Capitol Avenue
St. Mary’s neo-gothic cathedral, constructed 1906-09. features nine major stained-glass windows. The largest, above the choir loft, was inspired by Raphael’s Sistine Madonna.
First United Methodist Church
NE Corner 18th Street & Central Avenue
The cornerstone of the red sandstone church was laid in 1890, the year Wyoming became a state. Wild Bill Hickock married Agnes Lake Thatcher on this site in 1870.
First Presbyterian Church
220 West 22nd Street
The limestone church erected 1923-24. includes Centennial Doors depicting the stained glass Wyoming’s great seal, state flag. territorial seal and the Union Pacific emblem.
300 East 17th Street
This Italianate brick residence was built in 1883 by Ithamar C. Whipple, Cheyenne merchant, financier and cattleman. Later this was home to Judge John Lacey, distinguished Wyoming counselor.
222 East 17th Street
Built in l887-88 for Erasmus Nagle, faulty sandstone rejected by state Capitol contractors was installed here. Later this mansion was home of U.S. Senator Francis E. Warren.
SW Corner 16th Street & Capitol Avenue
Completed in 1882 by Francis F. Warren at a cost of $35,000. the Phoenix boasted three stories and a complete plumbing system with water and gas.
1600 Capitol Avenue
Built in 1922 by Harry P. Hynds. a prominent Cheyenne businessman and philanthropist, this was the site of the historic Interocean Hotel.
NE Corner 16th Street & Carey Avenue
Constructed in 1884 for wholesale liquor business, customers could walk among barrels and siphon samples through a tube, buying whatever they fancied.
200 block West 16th Street
Constructed in 1883. this building housed federal government offices until 1905. U S. Deputy Marshall Joe LeFors heard hired gunman Tom Horn’s alleged confession here.
SE corner 16th Street & Capitol Avenue
You are standing on the site of the 1884 Warren Mercantile Company building. 1887 to 1932 Burlington Railroad occupied part of the building for depot use.
Rocky Mountain Telephone Building
1623 Capitol Avenue
Constructed in 1906 for the new telephone exchange, John Arp purchased this building in 1930 to create a comfortable hotel with running water and private baths.
400 West 16th Street
Designed and built in 1927 for W.E. Dinneen. the building includes a water-powered elevator for lifting automobiles to the second floor, still in use in the 1980s
Historic Governor’s Mansion
300 East 21st Street
Constructed in 1904, the residence was the home of twenty Wyoming first families between 1905 and 1876 Notable visitors were Theodore Roosevelt. Harry Truman and William “Buffalo Bill” Cody.
1601 Capitol Avenue
The Majestic Building was constructed in 1907 for the First National Bank. The emergency exit became a social passage, known as Peacock Alley, between the Paramount Theatre and the Plains Hotel.
1600 Central Avenue
The Plains Hotel opened in 1911 and was the focus of Cheyenne’s social and political events for fifty years. Chief Little Shield’s picture became the hotel trademark.
1820 Capitol Avenue
The cornerstone was placed by the Masons in 1901, Following a fire in 1903, the interior was rebuilt. The stained-glass windows still show fire damage.
Ferdinand W. LaFrentz House
2015 Warren Avenue
The LaFrentz house is representative of the frame cottages built in Cheyenne during the 1880’s when Cheyenne was reputed to be the richest little city in the world.
209 East 18th Street
Designed in 1883 by George D. Rainsford, this whimsical cottage is almost unchanged in appearance and has been the home of three generations of Corsons.
1920 Carey Avenue
Construction started in 1886. R. W. Bradley moved into the mansion after sales to both Alexander Swan and D. D. Dare failed to close. In 1963 all but the carriage house was razed.
Knights of Pythias
312 West 17th Street
Constructed in 1884, Knights of Pythias Hall was the home of the Ninth Territorial Legislative Assembly in 1886. Portions of the elaborate cornice are still visible.
320 West 17th Street
Five Cheyenne streets’ names titled by General Dodge were changed. The Davis Building, constructed in 1895, remembers Eddy Street by a sign on the west side of the building.
1720 Carey Avenue
Designed by Frederick H. Porter in 1912, the building originally housed the Citizens’ National Bank. H. N. Boyd purchased the structure after the bank failed in 1924.
215 East 18th Street
The Greek Revival red brick structure graced with white columns was opened in 1911 as apartments. It was owned by Arthur C. Kingsford and named for his wife, Nettie.
NW corner 19th Street & Carey Avenue
Construction began in 1917. This edifice replaced the first Laramie County Court House where, in 1903, the famous hanging of Tom Horn took place.
1601 Central Avenue
Erected in 1911 by Cheyenne businessman and politician, Francis E. Warren, this commercial structure was later the funeral home and furniture store of Hobbs, Huckfeldt and Finkbiner.