Fort Hat Creek Stage Station
US Highway 85, 12.5 miles north of Lusk

The Fort Hat Creek Stage Station is 15 miles northeast of Lusk off US Highway 18-85, near the border from Nebraska, on the banks of Sage Creek. The fort also known as Camp Hat Creek, was built by the Army in 1875, under the leadership of Captain James Egin on the banks of Sage Creek. The group thought they were at Hat Creek, Nebraska, hence the name. First established as a sub-post of Fort Laramie, its purpose was to secure communications to the Black Hills. The first mission was to discourage settlers and prospectors from sneaking illegally into the Black Hills. Custer found gold there in 1874 and a rush was on, in spite of Fort Hat Creek. After the resulting Indian troubles had been settled in the white man’s favor, the fort became a stage stop on the Cheyenne to Deadwood Stage Route and then became known as Hat Creek Station. The general store/roadhouse built in the 1880s, after the original building burned, still stands, and the entire station is in the process of being restored. The site is located about 15 miles northeast of Lusk off US Highway 18-85.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved